In the civilized society, more and more people nowadays are getting hard to sleep well. For those who don’t have enough sleep for a long period of time, the possible effects may be bad mood or general signs of depression.
Generally speaking, there are 3 types of insomnia. Which type you are?
￭ Difficulty falling asleep
Taking more than 30 minutes to fall asleep.
￭ Difficulty staying asleep
Waking up in the middle of night at least 3 times a week, and it’s been going on for at least 3 months.
￭ Early morning awakening
Falling asleep easily but waking up too early in the morning and unable to fall back to sleep.
To improve the sleeping quality, here are some tips you can follow:
To do or not to do:
- Remember the only three things to do on the bed: sleep, sex, sick.
Do not watch TV or use smart phone, tablet PC, computer in the bedroom.
- Taking a bath or shower 2 hours before bed time.
- Doing some workouts is good for sleeping well at night. At least 3 times a week.
- Avoid heavy workouts before bed time. However, some soft stretching exercise will help a good sleep.
- People with the problem of urinary frequency must not have too much drink after dinner.
- Go to bed and get up at a regular time every day, on the weekend or holiday as well. Even if you don’t sleep well last night, it’s better not to get up too late in the morning.
- No midday naps.
- Anxiety is a sleep-buster. Do not plan or speculate something on the bed.
- Doing muscle relaxation on the bed. For example, clench your fists tightly for 10 seconds, and then release them. Repeat it for several times. Doing the same on the other parts of your body, such as teeth, eyes, legs, etc. Deep breathing repeatedly will help too.
- If not feeling sleepy even lying on the bed for a while, go out of the bedroom and do something relaxing and soft with dim light, such as reading or listening to music. Go to bed again when you really feel sleepy.
To eat or not to eat:
- Drink some hot milk before bed time.
Milk contains tryptophan, which is good at falling asleep. Other tryptophan foods such as banana, nuts, sesame, honey, high fiber crackers will help too.
- Eating too much food containing fat will make you sleep not well.
- Do not have too much coffee, coke, tea, chocolate, or even some pain-killer, which contain caffeine.
- Drinking some wine probably gets you in a fast asleep, but not good sleep.
- Having dinner at least 3 or 4 hours before bed time.